|HISTORICAL IMAGES OF CALLANDER|
|Where is Callander? This unused real photo postcard (circa 1920) shows it clearly. The map indicates 4 railroads leading from the Town: The CPR to Ottawa, the CNR to Montreal, the GTR to Toronto and the CNO to Parry Sound. The latter railroad line had been surveyed but was never actually constructed. The Booth Railroad that terminated at Wisawasa Falls just south of Callander is not indicated.|
|Real Photo postcard PM Callander spit-ring, 14 June, 1913. It shows men and horses hard at work building a railroad. The caption reads "C.N.R. construction work, Callander, Ont.|
|Black and white printed postcard (unused) of the Grand Trunk Railroad Station, circa 1907. The station building is now long gone.|
|The Streets and Roads|
|Real Photo postcard, PM Toronto & North Bay (RPO) 29 August (but year date is not legible) with a view of downtown, circa 1912. Caption reads "Main Street, Callander, Ont."|
|Real Photo postcard (unused) with a view of downtown, circa 1912.|
|Real Photo postcard (unused) with a view of High Street, circa 1912. Published by Rumsey & Co. of Toronto.|
|Real photo postcard of the public School PM August 1912. It looks abandoned, but perhaps it is only closed for the summer vacation.|
|Black and white printed postcard (unused) of Main Street, Callander, circa 1938. The banner reads "Lake Nippissing and French River, Daily Boat Cruise". The caption reads "Home town of the Dionne Quintuplets".|
|Unused real photo postcard published around 1950 shows the west end of Main Street.|
|Unused white-border postcard of Main Street circa 1955|
|Unused chrome advertising postcard published by Forder of North Bay, circa 1975. The reverse side reads "Hodge's Red and White Food Market and Shopping Centre, 5 Main Street, Callander, Ontario".|
|Real Photo postcard with a view of the bay and wharf. The card is postmarked 1918. The steamer moored at the town dock has not yet been identified.|
|Real photo postcard PM 1913, published by Rumsey & Co. of Toronto. The boat shown is the "Hazel B" that was built in North Bay in 1905 and sailed until 1938.The caption reads "Boating at Callander, Ont."|
|Printed postcard PM 1929. The last summer of fun before the Great Depression.|
|Unused chrome postcard that was published in 1974 by the Peterborough Postcard Co.|
|Unused real photo postcard proof of Moe's Ark I|
|Chrome advertising postcard of Moe's Ark II. The reverse side gives rates for excursions to go fishing with "M. Masson, operator".|
|The J. R. Booth Company|
|Cover Front, PM Wisawasa split-ring, 3 January 1894. The corner card reads J. R. Booth, Dimension Mills, Wisawasa, Ont. Head Office, Ottawa.|
|Postal card PM Wisawasa split-ring 15 August 1900,. The message side is shown here and says: "Your pc of 13th inst recd. Please ship another ton of mixed chop and also one ton of bran & oblige, Yours truly, J. R. Booth"|
|Real photo postcard PM 'Callender' split-ring, 1913. A portion of Booth's "Jackladder" structure can be seen in the background. The "jack ladder" was employed to raise logs from the bay to be shipped to Ottawa on the Booth Railroad.|
|Printed black and white postcard (unused) of the steamer Booth. Men are lowering (or raising) a "canoe" over the stern.|
|Another printed black and white postcard (unused) of the steamer Booth. The "canoe" is in tow.|
|Another printed black and white postcard (unused) of the steamer Booth. This time it is docked at the Franks Bay wharf on the south shore.|
|The Kervin Houseboats
William (a.k.a. John) Kervin was an early pioneer to the Callander area.
|Cover PM 'Callender' split-ring 7 May 1908. Corner reads "Sportsman's Home, Lake Nippissing, William Kervin, Box 4, Callander, Ontario|
|Rare patriotic postcard PM 'Callender' Split-ring, 08 November 1908, addressed to Buffalo, NY. The card was published by A.H. Cooper of Toronto. The caption reads Shamrock House Boat, Lake Nippissing and French River, for particulars write Wm. Kervin, Box 4, Callander, Ont. The message side reads "Arrived and all well. About 10 below zero and good hunting".|
|Real Photo postcard, used (but year date is not legible) with a view of a good day's fishing , circa 1920. The caption reads "bass catch, Kervin Bros. Resort, Callander Ont." By now the camp was run by William Kervin's three sons, George (Leo), Tom and Charles (Charley). Leo served as reeve of the township of North Himsworth from 1955 to 1963.|
|Printed black and white postcard showing two of Kervins' houseboats and the cruiser Julia S. on the West Arm near Sturgeon Falls.|
|Printed black and white postcard, PM Callander 21 July 1953. (The card is likely much older.) The caption reads "The cruiser Keas at Kervin's Camp, West Arm of Lake Nippissing.|
|The J. B. Smith Company||The company moved its saw mills from Franks Bay on the south shore to Callander in 1893 where it operated continuously until 1960.|
|Printed black and white postcard, PM 1908. The caption reads "J. B. Smith & Sons' New Mill, Callander, Ont."|
|Cover PM Callander split-ring 19 Oct 1916. Corner reads "John B. Smith & Sons, Limited, manufacturers of lumber, lath, shingles, doors, sash blinds, Etc.|
|Reverse side of cover shown above. Shown is "Mill No.2" of John B. Smith and Sons. The Mill was located on the NE side of the bay, close to town.|
|Printed black and white postcard, PM Callander 14 July 1946. The caption reads S.S. Seagull, Callander, Ontario. You can make out Smith's Mills on the shoreline in the background.|
|Real photo postcard, unused, published by Sterling Photos of Cornwall, Ontario. In the background can bee seen the mill of John B. Smith and Sons around 1950.|
Printed postcard with a Real Photo insert, PM 'Callender' split-ring, 5 July 1913. This building, on Lansdowne, looks much the same today but tall pines have grown around it and there is a large addition to the back of the church.
Unused Real Photo postcard circa 1913, published by Rumsey & Co. of Toronto.
Real photo postcard PM 'Callender' split-ring, 1910 (?).
|Catholic Church and Rectory
Unused printed postcard circa 1910 shows the church, rectory and the priest
|This unused printed black and white postcard was published by Warwick Bros. and Rutter of Toronto. The large building on the left is the White House Hotel.|
|Unused real photo postcard. To the right of the tracks is seen the GTR station facing the Pacific Hotel. The Pacific was built by George Morrison.|
|Unused white-border postcard, circa 1940|
|Unused white-border advertising postcard, circa 1940. The Red Line Inn was built by Leonard Wookey in 1937. Later on, Wookey boulevard was named after him.|
|Sunbeam Bungalows||This place was established before the quints were born and is still going strong, now replete with its own website: http://www.sunbeambungalows.com/ David and Diane Bain are the proprietors today.|
|Photogelatin postcard PM 6 November 1932.|
|Photogelatin postcard PM Callander, August 1939. The entrance to the Sunbeam bungalows is just past the gateway, on the right.|
Unused real photo postcard shows the recreation building on the right and a period automobile.
|Real photo postcard likely taken at the same time as the card above (same automobile). This one is postmarked 16 September 1950, but the photo was likely taken long before this date.|
|This unused "Exaggerated" Postcard is a great example of a manipulated photograph that was popular in the first half of the century. The caption reads "An exiting moment at Sunbeam Bungalow, Callander, Ont., Canada"|
|The Waltonian Inn||The Waltonian Inn has been operating since 1925. They have a comprehensive website at http://www.waltonian-inn.com/ . The present proprietors are John & Karen Scott and Robin.|
|This unused real photo postcard is dated August 1927 on the reverse.|
|Real Photo postcard PM 29 August 1929 of the "Grove" at the Waltonian, photo by Canadian National Railways|
|Unused Real Photo postcard (dated 1st to 13th August 1927) of the "Grove" at the Waltonian, photo by Canadian National Railways|
|Printed postcard PM Callander 13 July 1943. The reverse side advertises: "electric lights, 25 boats and 1 cabin cruiser. "|
|Printed postcard PM 26 July 1941|
|Unused Real Photo postcard|
|Unused printed postcard showing the beachfront and lighthouse.|
|Printed postcard PM Callander 5 September 1944|
|Unused Real Photo postcard circa 1950 with a view of the General Store|
|Roadside Views||Views showing roadside businesses are popular with collectors, especially when gasoline pumps appear in the image.|
|Unused printed postcard of the Wisawsa Cabins, located one-half mile south of Callander|
|Unused Real Photo postcard of the Hillcrest Bungalow Cabins, located three miles north of Callander|
|Unused printed postcard of the Horseshoe Cabins at Callander. Anyone know the location?|
|Unused printed postcard of the Happen Inn that sold handicrafts and woollens. Anyone know the location?|
|Unused printed advertising postcard of Callander Camp and Cabins. It looks like they were located on Main Street West.|
|Real Photo postcard PM Callander 1953. The writing on the back says that the owners were "Verna Dobbs and her husband".|
|Unused Real Photo postcard of "The Pines". The caption says that T. Anderson was the proprietor.|
|Birds-eye Views||Pictures taken from an airplane provide interesting maps of the town layout.|
|Unused printed postcard dated 1938|
|Unused printed postcard dated 1938. This view of Quintland shows the birthplace, staff house, hospital and playhouse.|
|The Dionne Quintuplets||On May 28, 1934 the world's first surviving quintuplets were born near the hamlet of Corbeil, not far from Callander, Ontario. The proud parents were Oliva Dionne and his wife Elzire (nee Legros). The babies were delivered by Dr. Allan R. Dafoe of Callander.|
This unused black and white postcard is the first of dozens that were made for sale to the tourists that flocked to Callander. The mother appears distraught. Perhaps she is already aware that she will soon lose her five babies to the Dionne Quintuplets Guardianship.
|One year old
Shown here is a portion of a cover (No. 10 envelope) that was mailed in 1935. The sender has obtained Dr. Dafoe's signature on the front. The note indicates that it was obtained with the help of the head nurse, the friend of a friend of the sender. The quints are now one year old.
Two years old
This printed sepia postcard dated 1936 shows the two-year old quints with Dr. Dafoe.
|Three years old
Unused black and white postcard that was published in 1937. The quints are just learning to ride their tricycles. Later they would all get on tricycles and "drive around madly singing at the top of their voices".
This cover is PM 28 May 1938, on the quints' fourth birthday
Four years old
Unused black and white postcard that was published in 1938. At age four they seem more interested in the lamps held by Dr. Dafoe than with the model of a CNR locomotive.
|Five years old
Unused black and white postcard. The quints are now at the height of their popularity.
|Six years old
Black and white postcard PM Callander, 27 July 1940. This card is hard to find because it is popular with hockey collectors.
|Seven years old
Black and white postcard PM Callander, 23 July 1941.There are seven candles on the birthday cake. Fewer visitors drove up to see them now; part of the problem was the advent of gasoline rationing during the war.
|Thirteen years old
Unused 'real photo' postcard of the quints in their early teens. Ten copies of this card were made to order from a family photograph, that is said to be the last one taken before the death of Emily. This may be so because the quints became unhappy with family life and left home in 1952.